The Church in Seyðisfjörður is one of the most recognisable landmarks in Iceland. With its distinct colour and buildingstyle it has become a popular spot for tourists. The church used to stand at Dvergasteinn farm and in 1882 it was moved to Vestdalseyri. At first the church stood on a hill overlooking Vestdalseyri but in 1894 it was blown over and damaged by a huge storm. The church was rebuilt, this time down on the peninsula and stood there until 1920 when the decision was made to move to its present location in the heart of Seyðisfjörður. In 1989 the the Blue Church was damaged by fire when renovation work was being carried out on the building and a pipe organ that was installed in 1987 was ruined by the flames. Today the Blue Church has a pipe organ of the same type as the one that was lost to the fire.
The Church is open for visitors in the summer.
Regular opening hours through June – August
Weekdays: 10:00–12.00 and 13:00–16:00
The church is also open during the stay of cruise ships.Share Back to what to do
Location / Contact info
- Bjólfsgata 10, 710 Seyðisfjörður
- Tel: +354 472-1182
- E-mail: [email protected]